Thursday, January 13, 2011

Julia Cameron Response

Who knew something so simple could be so helpful. Being helpful almost seems like an understatement. For just being the one technique it’s crazy how much the morning pages can or could do for you. For me it makes so much sense how you could untangle the mess in your head when trying to figure out what you should do for your next project. The big thick wall of the things you’re stressing about, the things you need to get done, what so and so said to you the other day how it made you feel etc., can be a total block of your creative or artist side. I never thought of writing those “issues” down to help find the other side. I totally agree with how Julia described the censor. How negative the censor can be, how discouraging. It’s like you are playing a mental game with yourself, a not so good mental game, one that can totally ruin things for yourself. With the help of the morning pages you can learn to live with the censor, not taking everything to heart. I like how broad of a technique the morning pages can be. It’s not just for the writers, but for every shape and form of art. It’s what you consider art to be. Also how you should take yourself on a date, meaning doing something that you really and truly like to do. Julia talks about how this can even help your artistic block. Once again something so little can be so helpful, not to mention enjoyable. People, myself included, tend to way over think things, things that are so simply.

1 comment:

  1. It could also be that it's the notion of daily, small chunks of creativity that is powerful, and not just the notion of writing. Balancing work, family, exercise and art is hard for me. I find that if I can pick up a camera and knock out out fourty frames in half an hour - it's something that is sustainable and something I can check in with each day. If I can do it on a regular enough basis, I find that there is a big backlog of images for me to process, to the point that I can't really keep up. It's not about killing myself at the last minute to get an assignment together anymore - it's about a daily commitment to photographic seeing. It's about photography being interwoven into my life. It's not exactly what Cameron is talking about, but there are important relationships, I think.

    ReplyDelete